Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Time to Get to Work (con't)

What follows a Friday night of buy materials? A Saturday of back braking (and leg aching) manual labor. . .

My dad showed up with a truck full of steeping stone and a shovel.

First we put down a row of stones to get an idea of where we would start, then my dad busted out the tape measure and the "Great Geometry Debacle of 2009" began. My dad wanted everything to line up exactly, lots of right triangles and squares. . . and I was cool with eyeballing it. . .

After 3 hours of math, measuring, and moving (heavy stepping stones) we came to a compromise - we eyeballed it, but pretended that everything was perfectly precise.

So, after we were already worn out, we got started with digging, raking, sand spreading, and tamping. Then we laid the stones out. We decided to go with a staggered pattern, which fancies the whole thing up -


but not having thought this all the way through we had nothing on hand to cut the stones, so as of now the edges are still on finished. It's okay though, because by sundown I was the proud owner of an pretty much done patio!



We still have to finish the edges (and by we, I mean my dad) and then spread super fine sand on top to fill in the cracks. . . now if I can just get the grass to grow in . . .

No comments: