Tuesday, June 24, 2008

the Good, the Bad, and the Gross and Smelly

the Good (and surreal):
Last night was my cousin Jill's babyshower.

Little Mia Anntonia (can you tell that we're Italian?) is due in August, but because Mia's older brother Chase (not sure how he lucked out of the overly ethnic name) will only be a year old this week my cousin felt funny about having a baby shower. But you can not deny a grandmother an opportunity to spoil her yet-to-be-born granddaughter - so a small more intimate shower/dinner/pass-the-wine gathering was in order. My aunt reserved the "Pope Room" at Buca di Beppo, and boy let me tell you, that room is getting it's own post later on.

So there was Jill (who can't drink), myself (who doesn't drink), and my aunt and 10 of her close friends (who have never met a bottle of wine they didn't enjoy) in a room dedicated to the Pope, oh, our poor sexually harassed waiter, Ross - I think he may be scarred for life. The term "cougar" comes to mind.

For your viewing pleasure:
Baby Chase at 3 days old



the Bad:
My new-to-me kitchen cabinets that I was all excited about are no more :(

the reason:

the Gross and Smelly:
My cabinets were being stored at my grammie's house. Grammie passed away about two and a half years ago, and my mom and my aunt have been slowly going through all her things and cleaning her house out.

There is one rule about my grammie's house, turn off the water to the house when you aren't there. The house was a kit house built in the early 40's, and the plumbing wasn't done right to begin with. . . Last Wednesday someone (my dad) forgot to turn off the water when he left. . .

At some point a pipe in the bathroom burst - and well, it was gross and smelly by the time we found it. . .

Almost everything was ruined, but by the grace of god my grammie's danish modern china cabinet found the only dry spot, and survived.

No comments: