Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I Need Some Advice

I've mentioned before that Elsie can be annoying. . . I tend to say it jokingly, referring to her as my annoying little cat (that's how she got her name, by the way). . . but, it all truthfulness, it is not a joke, she is a terror, and I'm not just talking about her ruining my furniture.

She meows, all the time, just to hear herself meow, she will meow until she is hoarse, which make her meowing just that more painful to listen to. She keeps me awake at night, and I don't mean she wakes me up every now and then, there is no stopping her jumping around on my head and screaming all night long. I can not tell you the last time I got more than a hour or so of uninterrupted sleep (oh, wait, yes I can, it was when I spent the night at my parents'). I've tried locking her out of my room, but she will bang on the door and meow at the top of her longs for hours when I do. She has banged so long and so hard on my bedroom door that she has broken the door handle. I've tried locking her in the bathroom, where she can't force the door open, but again she meows loudly enough that I can still hear her and then I have a completely trashed bathroom to deal with in the morning.

I've become this super grouchy snapping cranky monster because of the lack of sleep, and I don't like it. The problem is, I just don't know what to do.

Excessive meowing can be a sign of illness, but Elsie has been checked out, and she's super healthy. I've had a vet suggest giving her Children's Benadryl at night, but I'm worried I'd give her an overdose, and besides that, how the heck am I suppose to get her to take it?

I'm really at my wit's end, there are nights that I consider tossing her outside, but then I remember her two major outdoor injuries and think better of it. . . and there are other nights I consider just getting rid of her all together. . . but I'm afraid no one else would put up with her terrorizing. . .

And then, there are the afternoons when she curls up on my lap and falls asleep purring. . .

I really don't know what to do, I am open to any ideas or advice you may have. . . Seriously, help me, please!




cat hating / bashing comments are not welcome -

I'm looking for actual advice on dealing with a beyond annoying
kitty that I happen to love

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it will help, but try Feliway Comfort Zone plug-in. My cat gets traumatized by vet visits and will start peeing wherever she feels like unless I plug one of these things in afterwards. It's a calming phermone something-or-other. (And buy them from Amazon, they're more than twice as much at Petsmart.) I don't know if it will help her crying (mine does that periodically, too), but it's worth $15 to find out.

Good Luck.
mary