Friday, September 3, 2010

My Poor Puppy


The last few days have been a little crazy in the Laurendy household. . . Mr. Emmett decided to go and get sick on us which involved a trip to the animal emergency room at 2am and lots of worries.

Emmett has always had a collapsing trachea which just means that when he would get to excited his trachea would collapse and he would make a funny honking noise for about 30 seconds or so until I calmed him down. Having a collapsing trachea is pretty common in small dogs. Emmett averages a tracheal collapse 2 or 3 times a month lasting between 30 seconds and a minute and only required a little calming to end. . . that was until Wednesday night. . .

Wednesday night around 11pm Emmett woke up with a honking fit that wouldn't stop. Every five minutes or so he would start up again, by 2am I released there was nothing I could do to help him, so I called my mom and asked if she would go with me to the animal hospital and it turns out he has a full blown case of Tracheitis, which means his trachea is inflamed, which caused a cough and a collapse, which irritated his trachea more, which caused a cough and a collapse, which irritated his trachea more, and so on. . .

Now he is on steroids and a cough suppressant, which seem to take the zip out of him. . . oh, and they give him the runs, so I'm looking forward to a wonderful long weekend. . .

For more info on collapsing trachea click here.

Also, if you need an emergency vet in the south Florida area you should check out Pet PB, they were beyond awesome with my little guy.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Thanks for posting the link. I had never heard of collapsing trachea until this week. A friend told me
about it when I was visiting and her dog started coughing.
This is something my dog has done for a long time. I never talked to the vet about it - as it seemed to go away so fast.

Adding it to the list of things my little dog has.

Lisa said...

Super scary! I'm glad they know what it is and can treat it.

Have fun with the poo this weekend. Bleh.

healy said...

oh so cute. . love everything in here;0